I found this recipe online and made a few modifications and voilá! hit it right. Have made this multiple times this summer. It freezes up beautifully. Typically, i cut it into small squares – like 36 pieces – separate them slightly onto a tray, then they are ready to just pop out one, put in your lunch pail and easily by lunch it is thawed. One note – i’ve not added the chocolate chips – it’s so sweet and chocolaty without, but one day i will try them.
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1 ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚ and prepare a 9×13-inch pan with butter or baking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, oil, sugar, and vanilla until fully mixed
- Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined. Batter will be very dry
- Fold in zucchini by hand. Allow batter to rest for 5 minutes
- Add in chocolate chunks and stir again. Batter should appear more wet
- Spread brownie mixture into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Brownies are done when inserted toothpick is removed with crumbs.