During this time of sudden hoarding of foodstuffs, my family has not been privy to their Great Grains Crunchy Pecan cereal. Which is fine – they won’t die. However, this gave me incentive to see if i could make pecan clusters similar to the commercial cereal.
Right off the bat, i found this awesome recipe in a web search. Click through for Karlynn’s original recipe.
How to Make Your Own Granola Clusters by Karlynn Johnston
Crunchy Pecan Granola Clusters
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (coconut sugar worked fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or liquid coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 300°F .
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, salt, cinnamon (or preferred spices), and optional pecans or other nuts/seeds.
- In a smaller bowl combine honey, oil, and vanilla.
- Once thoroughly mixed, pour the liquid mixture over the oat mixture and using your hands mix the ingredients forming clusters of your desired size.
- Scoop the clusters onto a 12″ by 15″ by 1″ stone pan and spread out.
- Bake for 20 minutes until clusters are light golden. be careful not to overcook!
- Set pan on raised cookie rack and allow to cool completely BEFORE touching the granola.
- Once cool, break apart and place in an airtight bag or jar.
Be creative for granola uses – it’s way more than cereal!