Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 1 cup chopped onion or 3 tablespoons flaked dried onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic or 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic
Over low to medium heat in a skillet melt butter and soften the onion and garlic, then lower heat and add:
- 1 cup fresh spinach snipped into small pieces or (1/4 cup chopped cauliflower leaves, celery, etc)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms or small can of mushrooms
Sauté until just softened.
In a separate bowl mix together
- 1 lb grass finished ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely ground bread crumbs (use leftovers from a failed baking experiment)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brandy (brandy and whisky work fine)
Add the vegetables to beef mixture, then mix very well. Form into a log 2 1/2 inch diameter. Place in the center of a preheated oven for 6 minutes.
While this is cooking, prepare the glaze.
Whisk together in a small bowl:
After meatloaf has baked about 6 minutes, remove it from the oven and brush glaze over top.
Return pan to oven and bake until meat is just cooked through, about 25 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.